Hello and happy New Year!
Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone who voted for us in the UK Blog Awards. We may not have made the judges shortlist, but we are still extremely grateful to those who voted or helped spread the word, and excited to welcome new readers.
To say that 2016 was busy is an understatement. Amongst other things, The Training Museum team were involved in:
- supporting 7 Trainees to complete their traineeships and win an Adult Learners’ Award.
- welcoming 4 new Trainees to the service.
- organising 68 training sessions for staff and Volunteers.
- showcasing museum roles to around 700 children and young people through Takeover Days, careers fairs, work experience, Supplementary School sessions and Trainee ‘Back to School’ activities. We also worked on the fantastic films.
- organising and running the Transforming People to Transform Museums conference, which was attended by over 120 people.
- presenting at 2 other national conferences about our traineeship programme.
- helping promote a range of Volunteer projects, including labelling and packing objects, researching and digitising collections, and supporting holiday events.
- updating the Colchester + Ipswich Museums website. We’re still going with that one, so please let us know what you think!
- commissioning new artwork inspired by our collections (like the one at the top of this post).
It may have been a lot of work, but it has also been great fun, and we’re looking forward to what 2017 will bring.