This week Colchester + Ipswich Museums welcomed a new cohort of Training Museum Trainees. Michael, Mark, Tim and Esme have joined the team and will spend the next 12 months gaining museum skills through both training and practical work.
One of their first exercises involved thinking about a museum professional in the future and the group had some great ideas.
Among other things, they felt we should:
- have museum collections at heart
- think of new ways to interpret collections and use technology to bring exhibits to life
- listen to the public
- roll out the red carpet and be welcoming to visitors
- be creative
- have an awareness of different access requirements
- be trained in health and safety
A huge thank you goes to Anton, Alex, Elisha, Em, Joe, Sammi and Scott, who have been helping explain what life as a Trainee is really like, sharing some of their achievements and challenges.
That’s enough from me, this is the Trainees blog after all. Our new recruits will no doubt introduce themselves and share what they are getting up to over the coming weeks.
(I look after the Trainees)